Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Vegetable Soup

Ingredients:
10 cups of fat-free chicken broth, low sodium ( I would use just regular chicken broth next time.)
( I used a 48 oz box of broth, low sodium and 1 can of broth)
4 red potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes ( I used 3 red potatoes)
4 cups onions, quartered ( I used one large onion)
1 cup carrots, sliced 1 inch thick ( I used 3 carrots)
3 cups celery, sliced 1 inch thick ( I used 3 celery stalks)
2 cups zucchini, sliced 1 inch thick ( I used 2 zucchinis)
8 ounces tomato sauce, canned ( I used about 3/4 of the can)
2 cloves garlic, minced (I used 3 cloves)
1/4 bunch fresh parsley, chopped ( I used dried parsley)
1/4 bunch cilantro, chopped ( I only used a couple leaves of cilantro)
dash black pepper
dash garlic salt
dash salt
* I added about 8 fresh mushrooms -quartered
Directions:
1. In large stockpot, combine the chicken broth, potatoes, onions, carrots, and celery. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-high, and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes.
2. Add the zucchini,tomato sauce, garlic, parsley, and cilantro. Reduce hear to medium-low and cook for 10 to 15 minutes more, or until the zucchini is just tender. Season to taste with black pepper and serve.
The Results:
This turned out really good. Topped the soup with parmesan. I served it with grilled cheese because hey I have a 3 year old to feed too. Surprisingly he ate the soup too. Just make sure to season and taste.
* I got this recipe out of our workout cookbook.

No comments: